Wow! It's a beautiful day outside. The snow is melting, the ground is thawing...it's about time for the days of the muddy boots. We're still working through a lot of details for this growing season, collecting CSA sign-ups, getting prepped to start our work in the greenhouse, and dreaming of mornings in the sunshine pullin' up weeds.
Here are some updates from the Big Muddy Urban Farm...
- Friends of the Big Muddy Urban Farm are hosting a "Secret Cafe" on Friday, February 24th starting at 5:00pm. Come have a delicious meal and drinks served to you. On the menu: greens, bean and beer soup, potato leek soup, homemade bread by James, rabbit, and homemade pies and cupcakes for dessert. This is a fundraiser to help us buy materials for our raised beds at the 33rd and California Plot. $5.00-$10.00 suggested donation. Also, the infamous Matt Cronin (and perhaps a few other musical guests) will serenade you while you dine. Location details coming soon... but save the date!
- We had a really great meeting with Omaha Economic Development Corporation this week about a potential partnership that would truly be awesome for the Big Muddy Urban Farm. We will reveal more soon, when we can. In the meantime, check them out, they do some cool work in the neighborhood.
- We're on our way to becoming certified to accept WIC vouchers!
- Ali and Brent attended the GAP training, which stands for Good Agricultural Practices. This means Big Muddy Urban Farm is officially trained in GAP practices. From the UNL Extension page "Safe, locally grown produce is a important to the producers as it is to consumers. The purpose of providing Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) training is to reduce the risks of microbial contamination of fruits and vegetables. The overarching aim is to help increase safety or quality of local foods and this starts by developing a farm food safety plan that is achievable."
- We mentioned this before, but just so everyone knows we currently have plans to sell at the Benson Farmer's Market and Gifford Park Farmer's Market this season. The GP Farmer's Market is pretty new, and we hope we can help get more vendors and customers traveling through this season. Our friends from the Minnelusa House and GP Teen Market folks also sell there. Let the countdown to Farmer's Markets begin!
- Don't forget to request a CSA Member Agreement today. One by one our spots are getting filled. 31 days until registration for this growing season closes!